SENIOR PRODUCT MANAGER
I am available from 1 February 2019
WHO I AM
My outgoing personality has helped mould my ability to communicate with different teams within a business, having a firm grasp on business strategy, development, design and marketing environments with a strong skillset to communicate product strategy across these various facets.
Driven and dedicated to succeed and not settle for second best, I am passionate about digital products and ensuring that these products meet the objectives of the business and users holistically.
Being a charismatic individual I embed myself into teams very quickly and take an interest in understanding how the team functions, and where their strengths and weaknesses lie. This helps me to build a solid team who build solid products.
I am skilled in digital product design and marketing . From my early days as a web designer in 1998 and beyond, the opportunities that online platforms present to companies, brands, causes, and agencies, are ever-expanding. Working through every level of the online & digital industry, I’ve been privileged enough to gain extensive knowledge and experience in varying digital industries from media agencies, to newspapers and digital TV channels.
I also dabble in the motoring world writing car reviews for my website The Motoring Channel.
COMPANIES I’VE WORKED FOR
9 years of professional product experience in large scale, blue-chip companies.
Technical expertise based on 20 years of digital product design and development.
Passionate about solving challenging problems and driving cross-functional teams in dynamic environments.
Strategy & Roadmap Creation
Agile Software Development
Web • Mobile • App Design
Experience Design (UX)
Information Architecture (IA)
Personas & Segmentation
User Research & User Stories
Journey & Flow Mapping
Sketching • Wireframing
Adobe XD • Sketch • InVision
Low & High Fidelity Mockups
Adobe CC Suite (Ps, Ai, Id)
Browser Developer Tools
SQL • MySQL
WordPress • Drupal
GIT • SVN • Github
Quality Assurance (QA)
Pricing & Packaging
Sales & Support Training
A/B & Multivariate Testing
Senior Product Manager
Wunderman South Africa | January 2018 - December 2018
I am tasked with managing the implementation of a White Label CMS based on Drupal for a large International client.
I ensure that the design agencies build their design according to White Label specifications, and I manage any decision regarding customisations that may need to be made. This includes taking in the clients brief, understanding the impact on the White Label system and determining the viability of such a feature.
Managing and planning the product roadmap is a top priority and communicate this to the development teams on a daily basis to ensure continuous improvement of the product.
Market data research is used to identify how to enhance the product based on user requirements and analytics data.
My passion is to see the product meet the needs of the client and of the users that interact with the White Label. With so many different websites in multiple markets, makes it a unique product with a broad range of user personas to cater for.
- High level management of projects in collaboration with relevant teams in the business to ensure successful product delivery
- Have an overview of the progress of a project including UX, UI, Dev, PM and QA.
- Define digital product strategy and requirements from client and agency stakeholders.
- Take business and client requirements and create backlog.
- Create documentation in collaboration with Technical Leads (Scope of work, technical & functional specifications, etc)
- Turn product feature requirements into user stories
- Attend regular Scrum meetings with the relevant team members
- Maintenance, prioritisation and grooming of the Product Backlog, ensuring it is clear to the team.
- Facilitate various costing, timing and scoping workshops.
- Working closely with the development team to make sure that requirements are fully understood.
- Assist QA team in creating test cases
- Help with find solutions to problems in collaboration with development teams.
- Manage feature releases ensuring that User Acceptance testing, documentation, training and client comms.
- Collaborating with relevant teams in the business to ensure solutions to problems are provided.
Senior Product Manager
forgood.co.za | May 2016 - December 2017
forgood.co.za is an online platform that connects passionate people with needy organisations. It is a social market place where skills, goods, services and information can easily be offered and asked for.
My position at forgood was to manage the digital product as a whole and to ensure smooth running of the product and the promotion thereof. I managed the product that was used for the general public as well as a White Label version that was sold to corporates to manage and market their Employee Volunteering Initiatives to their employees internally.
From managing the UI/UX design and development of the product to overseeing the SEO, PPC and media buying portions of the business, I was responsible for all aspects of the digital product.
Keeping abreast of global competitors was an important part of my role and gave us great insights into the movement of social impact in other territories.
- Develop and manage a product roadmap including constant ticket prioritisation.
- Develop and evangelise the Product Strategy across the organisation.
- Translate stakeholder requirements into user journeys, wireframes and sketch designs for smooth user experiences .
- Workshop requirements with stakeholders and development team in planning sessions.
- Clearly specify requirements to the dev team operating in an agile environment
- Prepare and track project plan, project risk and decisions logs and communicate project progress regularly.
- Manage User Acceptance Testing
- Manage UX ensuring every part of the system is working like it should and it remains a smooth and intuitive experience for users.
- Manage budget, suppliers and payments.
- Create, manage and constantly improve product performance metrics. Including everything from Google Analytics and Social Media Analytics to site monitoring tools and Azure App Analytics.
- Work with, manage and measure paid media agency and incorporate PR initiatives that drive adoption in both consumer and business markets.
- Fulfil a frontend developer role when extra capacity required.
- Manage SEO, PPC and Media Buying ensuring they meet business requirements
Head of Product
eNCA.com | April 2012 - March 2016
I started at eNCA.com at the beginning of the project to build their brand new online presence (www.enca.com) as the Head of UX. I managed to the building of the product from scratch to a point where the news site was listed as one of the top news sites in South Africa, after only 2 years in existence.
As the product became more detailed and grew exponentially, I moved on to the Head of Product role where I managed all aspects including design, development, branding, marketing, SEO and PPC.
I guided the sales and development teams on the processes and strategy for moving the product forward. We established a solid basis for advertisers to get the most out of their campaigns with eNCA.
- Managing the product backlog for mobile and desktop, and the priorities thereof, ensuring these are properly understood by the team.
- Keep stakeholders informed of the progress and status of product design & development
- Understanding the product and being able to convey clear and concise information to the team by liaising with internal & external stakeholders.
- Work with the design and development teams to ensure that development keeps pace with the project plan timelines and meets strict quality benchmarks.
- Work with the sales team to assist in setting up the advertising platform.
- Coordinate inputs from marketing, sales and editorial with development/design efforts to support the overall success of the products against key benchmarks such as audience and revenue targets.
- Facilitate sprint planning and sprint review meetings
- Develop new ideas and features to improve products, ensuring best practice is followed.
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of the market, technological and competitive environments in order to identify areas for product improvement and conceptualise and spec product features
- Translate business and user requirements into product development features and prioritise these in close consultation with stakeholders including marketing, editorial, design and development.
Senior Product Manager
Avusa Media LIVE (now Times Media Group) | April 2010 - March 2012When joining the Times Media LIVE team (back then it was Avusa Media LIVE), the Product Manager role was a brand new role and required the implementation of processes and management thereof.
While at Times LIVE, we pushed the boundaries and more than doubled website traffic during the course of my time there. Revenue was drastically increased through various products we developed in conjunction with our strong sales team.
I was instrumental in building the audience for the Times LIVE and Sport LIVE websites, creating advertising opportunities through content creation and features on the website.
Negotiating commercial deals with advertisers became a simpler task thanks to the product improvements made by the team.
- Manage the Product Life-cycle for both mobile and desktop.
- Product/Business Strategy & Analysis.
- Project Management.
- Concept and design of new products and enhancements to existing products.
- Requirements gathering.
- User Interface Design & User Experience.
- Growing website traffic.
- Digital advertising management & strategy.
- Assist development team in Product scoping.
- Management, design & user interface of Mobile sites and apps.
- Concept, design, integration and life cycle.
Web Marketing Specialist
PrivateProperty.co.za | Dec 2008 - March 2010
When I started at Private Property, there was little value being achieved from existing SEO practices. My job was to expand on the SEO initiatives drastically and increase traffic to the website generated from search engine results.
Between an outstanding Google AdWords campaign managed by the CEO and the SEO strategies implemented, we saw a massive increase in traffic over a 3 month period, where the traffic thereafter continued to grow.
- Managed all the SEO, Social Media and digital marketing initiatives and strategy.
- Provided regular, detailed reporting on analytics from SEO efforts.
- Assisted with management of the Google AdWords account.
- Assisted Product Manager with Design & UI.
- Assisted in design & implementation of mobile site and iPhone App.
Resonate New Media | August 2008 - November 2008
Senior Web Developer
GrowGraphics Group | January 2007 - July 2008
WhereToStay.co.za | September 2005 - December 2006
AutoWorld.co.za | November 2004 - August 2005
Internet Marketing Coordinator
LexisNexis South Africa | March 2004 - October 2004